• From Paul Marland on Contact Us

Hello,

My name is Paul Marland and I played for the Vale in 77/78?

I believe we may have been the first Vale team to travel to Jersey and play, where we lost 1-0 to Deeside in the final, albeit for a fine display of goal keeping by Paul Whittington.
    Both myself and Paul went on to play in both the North Berks and Hellenic leagues, for the highly successful Milton Utd, and also Abingdon Utd and a few more besides.
    Why I am contacting you is that we are celebrating the big 50 birthdays this year, and I would like to try and organise a reunion if possible.
    I have recently been in touch with Paul Brown who also played, and Steve Wiskin, there was Tom Whelan and Kev Shorter and Andy Gill, but my memory fails me on other members of the team.
    Would you have any record of that team, or indeed any pictures.
    I also remember the name Raffles from Drayton school, who used to help out.
    Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me, and I am sure you have heard this before, but where has the time gone.
    Regards
    Paul

2016/09/08 at 5:32 pm
  • From Danny keen on Contact Us

Hi

Just a little bit of info for your records I see that you indeed have me down as playing and winning the Hellenic league for Wantage town but I also played Ryman league div one for Thame Utd won the league with Oxford city and had a brief spell at Thatchem town before I joined Wantage town

It’s great to read many of the names on hear from the past
    Many thanks
    Danny Keen

2015/10/22 at 1:07 pm
  • From Robin Morris. on Contact Us

I didn’t play for Vale of white horse but you were my wonderful primary school teacher from Wantage c of e.

Google is wonderful for finding people. Mr fretter you taught me around 1985 and wanted to say thank you. After Abingdon school I went to Trinity college Cambridge and after London returned nearer Wantage with now a family of 4 wonderful children.

I agree you deserve a medal!

Robin Morris

2015/07/23 at 11:06 pm
  • From Scott Jamieson on Thirty Memorable Years: 1980-81

Dear Dave,

Came upon your post by chance and was quickly down memory lane. I played in the equally formidable Deeside side from 82/83 and have fond memories of the reciprocal tour that year down to Oxfordshire. As exotic as it got for a lad from Liverpool back in the 80’s. I know we must have won as we only lost one game that year, and that was on a piss awful night in Queensferry. For what it’s worth, still playing out here in Switzerland and still marked by the incredibly positive experience that schools football offered.

All the best to the Vale Association,

Scott Jamieson

2015/02/07 at 6:27 pm
  • From Emma Durham on Contact Us

Good Afternoon, I am contacting you from Cumnor Primary School in Oxford, we have returned our affilation form for the Open 7 A Side Competition. We have not received details of the league games and are wondering if you could let us know the schedule for the games as it looks like they start quite soon?
    Either contact me by email or my phone number is 01865 862337.
    Many thanks.

Emma Durham
    Cumnor Primary School Office

2014/09/23 at 11:46 am
  • From Pam Stokell on Contact Us

Hi Malcolm,Are there any plans to run the Carslaw Cup this academic year? We are setting up a football club and are looking for competitions that they could enter.
    Thank you for your help.

Pam Stokell
    Wantage CE

2014/09/11 at 2:52 pm
  • From Chris Davis on Contact Us

Malcolm,

I will be taking over as Headteacher at Francis Baily Primary, Thatcham in Sepyember and am keen to promote football as I did in Swindon when I set up the SPSFA before handing over the reins to Steve Beale, who you’ll know as he has ran the rep side since the league was set up.

Would we be outside of your area,(most probably) and if so do you know if there is any regular football or organisation for schools in the Newbury/Thatcham area?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards
    Chris

2013/07/15 at 8:07 pm
  • From Nick O'Hanlon on Contact Us

Hi

I played a couple of games for the VOWH 1980/81.
    I can’t believe Mr Fretter and Dave Stemp are still involved with this.
    You both deserve a medal.
    Good Luck to you both.
    Nick O’Hanlon

2013/01/10 at 5:38 am
  • From paul hogg on Thirty Memorable Years: 1982-83

Those were the good old days! Hope you’re well!

Paul Hogg

2012/11/18 at 5:04 pm
  • From Mike Williams on Thirty Memorable Years: 1984-85

I remember that year extremely well as there were initially three, then two , representatives from my school, Dunmore, in the squad. This was the season that Dunmore finished runners-up in the Smiths Cup at Wembley.

Mike Williams

2012/07/20 at 9:30 am
  • From Joe Cooke on Olympic Torch ... well done Malcolm!

Thoroughly well deserved Malcolm although I would rather have watched Jessica Ennis! You have given up so much time over the years to enable youngsters to enjoy school football. True ‘public service’!

2012/07/15 at 8:34 am
  • From Simon Handley on Olympic Torch ... well done Malcolm!

Well done Malcolm! You are an absolute inspiration to everyone. I watched your journey with tears in my eyes and pride in my heart – a deserved reward for some wonderful service to children and sport. God bless you, with much love and affection from your friends at Sunningwell CE Primary School.

2012/07/11 at 7:52 am
  • From Toby West on Olympic Torch ... well done Malcolm!

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer man. We were all proud of you Malcolm – Well done.

2012/07/10 at 7:46 pm
  • From Dave Stemp on Olympic Torch ... well done Malcolm!

It was a tremendous event at South Park, Oxford and I was fortunate to be there to witness Malcolm light the Olympic cauldron. If anyone deserved the honour of carrying the Olympic flame it had to be Malcolm J Fretter, who has done more for primary schools football in Oxfordshire than anybody else.

2012/07/10 at 2:45 pm
  • From Brendan O'neill on Olympic Torch ... well done Malcolm!

Fantastic. What a moment and so deserving for someone as dedicated to schoolboy football as Malcolm. Made me feel really proud to have known and worked alongside him. Well done, mate.

2012/07/10 at 1:10 pm
  • From Colin Young on Olympic Torch ... well done Malcolm!

Well done Malcolm!

I was thrilled to see this footage and thoroughly delighted. I can’t think of anyone in the Oxfordshire area more deserving of the opportunity. I hope you had a great day and wish I could have attended also!

All the best

Colin Young

2012/07/10 at 9:47 am
  • From Helska on Thirty Memorable Years: 1983-84

I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I have to say, I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!

2012/04/02 at 8:16 pm
  • From Reyna on Thirty Memorable Years: 1983-84

Hi there, perfect article and one for my book marks.

2012/03/15 at 7:08 am