Witney Cup: SWINDON 2 VALE 3

posted in: Cup, Vale Rep Squad | 0

Saturday 22 October 2011


Witney Cup – Round One

At Ballards Ash Sports Ground, Royal Wootton Bassett


The VALE won the toss and elected to play with the wind at their backs and the sun behind them.

The early exchanges were very even  but Swindon were playing the less frantic football and it was no surprise when they had a half chance after 6 minutes and Lawrence shot over from the edge of the penalty area.

The VALE were soon on the attack and Sykes, Farmer and Ormrod linked well to give Webb an opportunity of taking on the home defence. He rounded his defender and forced George in the home goal to save at full stretch.

The VALE were settling into a swift passing game and from a long clearance by Crowther the ball was laid into the path of Wallace on the right of the penalty area by Standbridge but the wind carried the ball away from the former and his effort at full stretch went narrowly wide of the upright.

Play remained even and in the 12 minute McGinn had an effort brilliantly saved by Crowther who managed to push the ground hugging shot round the upright.

The VALE had to withstand a series of corners but the defence held firm and if Crowther did not have to deal with them one of his defenders cleared the lines but the home team pressed hard for a period of several minutes.

The VALE defence had had to be reorganised as several players were away on holiday and with Woodbridge having a splendid game at the heart of the defence and Sewell filling the left back berth very effectively, Allum and Brinkley kept the home team at bay.

In the 20th minute Webb was released down the left but his firm drive was narrowly wide. This was the signal for the VALE to apply some real pressure and it was their turn to have a series of corners. From one, Ormrod was narrowly wide with his first time shot.

Wallace clipped a lovely pass over the central defenders in the 25th minute and Webb latched on to it to score with a well taken goal.

Two minutes later Sykes and Ormrod exchanged passes down the middle before releasing Webb who slid the ball under the advancing George.


HALF – TIME:           SWINDON     0          VALE OF WHITE HORSE  2


Swindon attacked from the kick-off, gained a corner and Sykes saved the VALE by heading off the line.

The visitors increased their lead a minute later when Sykes swung over a long cross to Wallace on the right and his first time cross found Farmer unmarked at the far post and he scored with a firm shot.

The VALE became increasingly tired as the second half progressed and the home midfield took charge of the game and in the 19th minute Lawrence scored with a fierce drive across the goal which evaded Crowther’s despairing dive.

Two minutes later a corner from the left caused problems to the VALE defence and a clearance hit a Swindon attacker on the leg and the ball ricocheted into the goal for a well deserved but somewhat fortuitous goal.

Swindon could not capitalise from a handful of corners and the VALE almost increased their lead in the final minute when Farmer passed a ball through the home defence but Ormrod had his effort brilliantly saved by George and the resultant corner was the final action of the game.


FULL TIME:              SWINDON     2          VALE OF WHITE HORSE  3




Next Fixture: VALE v Swindon

County League

Saturday 5 November

Kick – off: 10.30 a.m.

At: Oxford Brookes University